Monday, May 17, 2010

Summer dayz 1

Well, summer is officially here! It's may 17th, 010, and the sun is finally shining. Thank good God! You know, it weirded me out so much that it was snowing in early May. SNOWING. IN MAY! Unbelievable, but that's Colorado for ya. Yay. haha.

BUT I digress. The snow has melted, and the sun is up at 6:30am, so summer is here to stay I guess. This summer is going to be so different for me comparatively to the previous summers. For the last two years I have worked at Lowe's hardware as a Customer Service Associate in Outside Lawn and Garden. Man oh man did I love that job. I got to be outside all day, moving brick, trees, flowers, GIANT bags of mulch and seed. I swear I lost weight every summer and got a wicked tan, but alas, the Lord had other plans for me this summer.

For those of you who don't know me very well, and since I'm making a blog comeback, I'll give you a quick background of who I am. My name is Jacob, hi! I'm 21 years old and I go to UNC Greeley! Despite what everyone else says, I love it there! The smell goes away after a while, but the community sticks to your heart. I have met some wonderful peeps up there. I was formerly a Music Education major, vocal emphasis, but found my passion to be elsewhere. I love love LOVE music, but I just couldn't see myself using it as a career after 2 years of intense vocal training and theory.

So, I prayed and prayed about what the Lord would have me do, and I felt a passion for being a pastor and working with men and women who are searching for Him. So I declared philosophy, and here I am; one semester in to the philosophy program at UNC and loving it!

Also something I didn't mention that I think is VERY important considering who I am. I am a Christian man, a lover of Christ, the Lord and Savior of the world. I really don't have lots of time to tell you my whole testimony right this minute, so I'll save that for another post, but if you have questions, please hit me up! Jesus is Lord of my life, and I will follow Him all of my days, which is why I mentioned the prayer earlier. Just thought I should clear that up. Any questions? Ask em!

Okay, so that's my quick three paragraph background, and now I don't feel bad for leaving out out! :P Back to summer! So as this summer quickly approached I prayed diligently about what my summer would entail. Would I work at Lowe's again? Would I stay in Greeley? Can I be honest? I really didn't want to go home this summer. I really wanted to be a summer RA in the dorms and work with the families that would be coming in to town for conferences. So I applied; rejected. Ouch. Apparently they only hired a few people, so no hard feelings. So I continued to pray, and started to realize that God might want me to hang around at home.

More background: my family is going through serious crisis right now. To make another long story short, my brother is going through law trouble, my mom is going through financial and emotional trouble, and my dad is going through financial, emotional and marital trouble. yay more background. Again, Questions? Ask em!

So with all this in mind, I figured that God knew what He was asking me to do when He asked me to stay home. So I applied at Lowe's again, rejected two days later. I know! Rejected? From the company I had worked with for 2 years? Really? Guh! Well, God must have had some different plans, and I was starting to become discouraged.

I prayed for patience with Him as He revealed to me my summer, and that I would have an open heart to anything that came my way. Well in my prayers I started to feel that I was supposed to serve this summer. I was not supposed to think so much about money and just give my time to serving. So I emailed my old youth group leader at my church and asked if I could serve. She replied immediately with a resounding "Yes!"

So here I am, one week into summer, and waiting for my Church gig to start up. So your question might be, why am I writing? Well, I want to journal about my summer days and how the Lord has worked in my heart in the next three months. I can't stand writing, unless it's for a Quiet time, so I decided blogging would be my best bet! So, I'll spare you my first real entry, and leave you here! Quick background, quick situation, lots of love!

No comments: